Aimed at reducing BMI and decreasing health costs, a prominent HMO located in the upper Midwest now offers the Walkingspree USB pedometer-based program that focuses on measurable results for selected health insurance plans.
San Antonio, TX, (PRWEB) April 5, 2011 – When a major health maintenance organization (HMO) was looking for a proven, results-oriented weight management program for their innovative health insurance product with more than 100,000 members, they chose Walkingspree.
Approximately 28 percent of all Americans are classified as obese — those with a Body Mass Index (BMI) exceeding 30. The Walkingspree partnership with this HMO provides its members with a BMI exceeding 30 percent, an effective and an engaging walking program to lose weight and improve their health. This customized program started in late fall of 2010 and membership enrollment continues to increase month over month.
“Wow! I can’t believe it! I have lost 18 pounds in just 25 days, this is amazing,”
said one walking program participant.
The customized online wellness program delivers effective results to HMO participants and dramatically reduces health care costs for this HMO.
The technology-driven tools that help keep members on track include:
• A USB pedometer that tracks activity steps and uploads the data to a participant’s personal dashboard which displays steps, calories and fat burned.
• Custom “My Step Status” tracker so participants can see at a glance if they are meeting health plan step requirements as set by this HMO.
• An active social networking community where participants form online walking teams and support groups to encourage one another and ensure member participation.
• Interactive Body and Food Trackers that calculates net calories burned and offers a database of healthy recipes and food suggestions.
• Plus personalized “intelli-messages” that celebrate individual achievements, provide updated progress reports, fitness and health eating tips, and encourage participation.
Hiran Perera, Walkingspree CEO, is confident that their comprehensive and effective online wellness program will significantly contribute to the well-being of this Midwest HMO’s members and translate to lower health care claims.
“We are focused on delivering a custom wellness program to meet the performance-based objectives of our client. We believe we can deliver weight loss for a majority of participants by encouraging them to achieve step targets and thus lower their risk of chronic diseases. Our business team is constantly monitoring the delivery of this program and fine-turning it to ensure maximum success for our client and their participating members.”
Walkingspree is a specialized corporate wellness provider whose expertise is to deliver a technology-driven prevention focused activity program for health insurers and corporate clients. Through customized online wellness portals and programs, clients receive measurable results and engage participants in a feature rich community. The company’s program – based on a USB pedometer to track validated steps, an active social media network, and interactive food and body trackers – typically delivers more than 50 percent employee participation and year-over-year member retention. Results are healthier employees and a positive return on investment for clients. Walkingspree programs have been implemented in major health insurers, insurance brokers, Fortune 500 companies, small to medium businesses and non-profit organizations such as hospitals and schools. They also provide a wellness offering for the general public.
For more information, please contact:
Hiran Perera, CEO for Walkingspree. Tel +210 767 2436